English Homework of the Week #18 | Erika e Newton - Inglês por Skype

COMPOSITION
Can alternative energy effectively replace fossil fuels?

Proponents of alternative energy argue that fossil fuels are inefficient, unsustainable, environmentally destructive, and the primary contributor to global climate change.

Opponents contend that many technological hurdles have to be overcome before alternative energy can replace even a small portion of the power provided by fossil fuels.

What is your opinion on this subject?
(150 to 250 words - 1 Paragraph)


READING AND LISTENING
No. 1 Killer Among Youth? Traffic Accidents

Road traffic crashes kill 1.25 million people each year worldwide.
But the World Health Organization (WHO) says they are preventable.
The report surveyed 180 countries, and it shows the number of annual deaths from traffic crashes is stabilizing. And that is good news as the number of motor vehicles grows worldwide.
But the data also show that road crashes are the No. 1 cause of death among young people aged 15 to 29.
Young adults around the world are the worst driving risks. Even in the U.S., drivers aged 15 to 24 account for about 30 percent of all driving-related accidents.
The WHO report also finds a big gap in road safety and deaths between poor and rich countries. Poor countries have only 54 percent of the world’s vehicles. But those countries have some of the worst safety statistics in the report.
“Africa has only two percent of the world’s vehicles, but has the highest death rate on the road." That is what Etienne Krug, the head of the WHO Department of Non-communicable Diseases, says.
Sweden, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom are leaders in preventing traffic deaths. The highest death rates are in Africa and the Middle East.
Stronger road safety laws and stricter vehicle safety requirements in developing countries would prevent many accidents.
Legislation can quickly influence driving behavior. In only three years, 17 countries became safer by implementing tougher road safety laws.
Some of those laws include banning drunk driving, requiring cyclists and motorcycle drivers to wear helmets and making safety belts mandatory in all vehicles.
There are other ways to make roads safer. Good trauma care after a crash can cut the number of deaths from road injuries in half.
The statistics are part of the “Global Status Report on Road Safety 2015,” launched on Monday in Geneva.
I’m Mario Ritter.
Source:

Audio Download

Words in This Story
trauma – n. a serious injury to a person's body

helmet – n. a hard hat that is worn to protect your head

traffic – n. all the vehicles driving along a certain road or in a certain area



ONLINE GRAMMAR EXERCISES
Past Perfect Simple



SITES FOR ENGLISH LEARNING AND PRACTICE
ManyThings.org - English Pronunciation Exercises


ENGLISH VIDEO CLASSES
Proverbs in English!


WORD OF THE WEEK
part with
Meaning: to give something to someone else, especially when you'd prefer to keep it
  • Mark hated parting with his collection of rare books, but he really needed the money he got by selling them.
  • Mum didn't want to part with our baby clothes or our old school books, but we made her get rid of them.


MUSIC

Hello - Adele

Hello
It's me
I was wondering if after all these years
You'd like to meet
To go over
Everything
They say that time's supposed to heal ya
But I ain't done much healing

Hello
Can you hear me?
I'm in California dreaming about who we used to be
When we were younger
And free
I've forgotten how it felt before the world fell at our feet

There's such a difference
Between us
And a million miles

Hello from the other side
I must've called a thousand times
To tell you I'm sorry
For everything that I've done
But when I call you never
Seem to be home

Hello from the outside
At least I can say that I've tried
To tell you I'm sorry
For breaking your heart
But it don't matter, it clearly
Doesn't tear you apart anymore

Hello
How are you?
It's so typical of me to talk about myself
I'm sorry, I hope
That you're well
Did you ever make it out of that town
Where nothing ever happened?

It's no secret
That the both of us
Are running out of time

So hello from the other side
I must've called a thousand times
To tell you I'm sorry
For everything that I've done
But when I call you never
Seem to be home

Hello from the outside
At least I can say that I've tried
To tell you I'm sorry
For breaking your heart
But it don't matter, it clearly
Doesn't tear you apart anymore

Oohh, anymore
Oohh, anymore
Oohh, anymore
Anymore

Hello from the other side
I must've called a thousand times
To tell you I'm sorry
For everything that I've done
But when I call you never
Seem to be home

Hello from the outside
At least I can say that I've tried
To tell you I'm sorry
For breaking your heart
But it don't matter, it clearly
Doesn't tear you apart anymore

Translation:


Traduções de Inglês e Aulas Individuais por Skype!
Érika & Newton – Inglês por Skype
Faça uma AULA EXPERIMENTAL GRATUITA!
Aulas TODOS OS DIAS, de 7 às 23 horas!

Érika de Pádua | Professora de Inglês – Aulas por Skype
WhatsApp: (31) 9223-5540 | Skype: erikadepadua@gmail.com

Newton Rocha | Professor de Inglês – Aulas por Skype
WhatsApp: 9143-7388 | Skype: prof.newtonrocha@gmail.com

Visite o nosso Blog Melhore Seu Inglês: https://melhoreseuingles.wordpress.com/
Curta Nossa página no Facebook
Se inscreva no nosso canal no Youtube – Erika e Newton https://goo.gl/KYns5i

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog

Como são os nomes das verduras e frutas em inglês? Aprenda com esse POSTER! #dicasdeinglês

Você sabe usar os ADJETIVOS INTERROGATIVOS do Inglês? | Prof. Newton Rocha – Inglês por Skype #dicasdeinglês

Como escrever CENAS INTERESSANTES! | NITRODICAS 64 #dicasdeescrita