English Homework of the Week #22 | Erika e Newton - Inglês por Skype

English Homework of the Week #21 | Erika e Newton - Inglês por Skype


Hi everyone! This week we have PEARL JAM - LAST KISS! Enjoy the extra english activities, and see you next class! :)



COMPOSITION
Talk about an event from the past that you would like to relive. Describe the original event and say why you would like to relive it.


(150 to 250 words - 1 Paragraph)


READING AND LISTENING
Weasel, Duck, Dog: Animals That Are Also Verbs
A few months ago, I told Anna Matteo I would write a Words and Their Stories program about animals that are also verbs. But I failed to keep my promise.
Instead of accepting responsibility, I told her I was too busy. And that I could not think of enough words. And that somebody else might want to write the program instead.
In other words, I tried to weasel out of it. A weasel is a small, brown mammal with a long body and short legs. It has a face a little like a mouse. A weasel does not appear very threatening; however, weasels can kill and eat animals four times their size.
Weasels sometimes dance before they kill their prey. Maybe that is why Americans say “weasel out” when we mean “try to avoid something in a dishonest way.”
By the way, you can also weasel your way into something. That means try every trick to accomplish your goal, even if it something you really do not deserve.
But back to my weasel-y ways. Anna would not accept my excuses. She would not let me avoid the work I promised to do. That is to say, she would not let me duck my obligation.
She hounded me. She dogged me day and night. She told our colleagues about my bad behavior, and they began to badger me about the program, too.                                                           
As you can imagine, “to hound” or “to dog” people is to pursue them. For example, hunting hounds find and chase creatures such as foxes, birds and raccoons. And if a hound traps these animals, he will rarely let them go. Hounding someone usually involves asking something again and again.
“To badger” someone has a similar meaning. A badger is related to a weasel but is bigger and fatter. A badger is also not as violent as a weasel; however, if a badger seizes something in its teeth, it holds on tight and won’t let go. Americans say they are badgering someone when they are insistent, but not aggressive.
Eventually, everyone’s badgering affected me. Besides, I was worried Anna might rat me out and tell our boss I was an unreliable colleague. The word “rat” in this expression probably relates to a belief that rats cannot be trusted. Rats in the U.S. have a bad reputation, whether or not they deserve it.   
Anyway, I finally sat down to write the program. Fortunately, like the animal that collects nuts and saves them for the winter, I had squirreled away some ideas. They included fish, such as in the expression “fish for compliments,” and worm, as in “I will worm my way into his heart,” as if I am tunneling with determination through the dirt.
Americans also shark, or fool, others, especially by pretending they are not good at something when they really are. And of course, we can bug people: bother them like a mosquito or a fly buzzing in an irritating way.  
But now I have hogged Anna’s program enough – selfishly taken more than I was really allowed or invited to. So I will close this episode of Words and Their Stories – but please do write to us if you ferret out a few more examples of animals that are also verbs.
I’m Kelly Jean Kelly.
Words in This Story
weasel – fuinha
duck– pato, desviar
hound – cão de caça, perseguir
badger – texugo, insistente
rat – rato, dedurar
shark - tubarão, enganar
bug - inseto, irritar
ferret - furão (animal), arrancar um segredo
Source:


Audio Download


ONLINE GRAMMAR EXERCISES
Simple Past


SITES FOR ENGLISH LEARNING AND PRACTICE
Duolingo


ENGLISH VIDEO CLASSES
Turn NOUNS & VERBS into ADJECTIVES
https://youtu.be/JSXHFAAM_xU


WORD OF THE WEEK
a kick in the teeth


Meaning:
If you get a kick in the teeth, something bad happens to you or you feel that you've been treated poorly.


Examples:


I'd just lost my job, so hearing that I had to move out of my apartment as well was a real kick in the teeth.


Gerry said that being told to get out of his apartment was a kick in the teeth after spending so much on doing it up.


Quick Quiz:


Hasan said it was a real kick in the teeth when he __________  


a. lost his job   b. found a job   c. did the job


Answer: (a)


MUSIC
Last Kiss - Pearl Jam


Video: https://youtu.be/4447lT5GQOk

Oh where, oh where can my baby be?
The Lord took her away from me.
She's gone to heaven, so I've got to be good,
So I can see my baby when I leave this world.


We were out on a date in my daddy's car,
we hadn't driven very far.
There in the road, straight ahead,
a car was stalled, the engine was dead.
I couldn't stop, so I swerved to the right.
I'll never forget, the sound that night--
the screaming tires, the busting glass,
the painful scream that I-- heard last.


Oh where, oh where can my baby be?
The Lord took her away from me.
She's gone to heaven, so I've got to be good,
So I can see my baby when I leave this world.


When I woke up, the rain was pouring down.
There were people standing all around.
Something warm flowing through my eyes,
but somehow I found my baby that night.
I lifted her head, she looked at me and said,
"Hold me darling just a little while."
I held her close, I kissed her--our last kiss.
I'd found the love that I knew I had missed.
Well now she's gone, even though I hold her tight.
I lost my love, my life-- that night.


Oh where, oh where can my baby be?
The Lord took her away from me.
She's gone to heaven so I've got to be good,
So I can see my baby when I leave this world.


Translation:


Traduções de Inglês e Aulas Individuais por Skype!
Érika & Newton – Inglês por Skype
Faça uma AULA EXPERIMENTAL GRATUITA!
Aulas TODOS OS DIAS, de 7 às 23 horas!


Érika de Pádua | Professora de Inglês – Aulas por Skype
WhatsApp: (31) 9223-5540 | Skype: erikadepadua@gmail.com


Newton Rocha | Professor de Inglês – Aulas por Skype
WhatsApp: 9143-7388 | Skype: prof.newtonrocha@gmail.com


Visite o nosso Blog Melhore Seu Inglês: https://melhoreseuingles.wordpress.com/
Curta Nossa página no Facebook
Se inscreva no nosso canal no Youtube – Erika e Newton https://goo.gl/KYns5i

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog

Como são os nomes das verduras e frutas em inglês? Aprenda com esse POSTER! #dicasdeinglês

Você sabe usar os ADJETIVOS INTERROGATIVOS do Inglês? | Prof. Newton Rocha – Inglês por Skype #dicasdeinglês

Como escrever CENAS INTERESSANTES! | NITRODICAS 64 #dicasdeescrita