English Homework of the Week #19 | Erika e Newton - Inglês por Skype

Mais uma semana e mais um English Homework! E dessa vez temos a clássica música “Can’t Fight This Feeling – REO Speedwagon”dos anos 80, super romântica! Um abraço do Prof. Newton! :)

COMPOSITION

Pretend you woke up one day and there were no rules. People could suddenly do whatever they wanted! Explain what the world would be like. Use your imagination!
(150 to 250 words – 1 Paragraph)


READING AND LISTENING

What Makes Beauty So Appealing?
Every year the entertainment magazine People publishes a list of who it considers the most beautiful people in the world.
How do the editors choose from the 7 billion people on Earth? What makes a person beautiful or ugly?
In the case of People, there is one major factor that comes above all others. What selections will generate the most interest among readers? More readers mean more money for the magazine.
This year the magazine named Sandra Bullock the most beautiful person in the world. Many people would agree that she is good looking. However, those same people are likely to differ about how good looking Bullock is.
But why do some people find Sandra Bullock gorgeous and others think she is just attractive?
A new study suggests that what a person finds good-looking in another person is shaped by the observer’s environment and experiences.
Beauty, say experts, is very individual. While Bullock is undeniably good-looking, not everyone agrees to what extent.
Laura Germine is a researcher in psychiatric genetics at Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School. She co-led the study, published in the journal Current Biology. Over 35,000 people took part by rating the faces of people in photographs posted on the website TestMyBrain.org.
Ms. Germine said the research centered on the individual judgments of face attractiveness that differ from each other.
“So I think most people agree, for example, that Brad Pitt is better looking than, say, [American presidential candidate] Donald Trump. But when it comes to Brad Pitt versus [actor] George Clooney versus [actor] Ryan Gosling, then reasonable people might disagree.”
The scientists got a good idea of the uniqueness of individual face preferences from examining the choices made by the online group.
Then the researchers turned to twins. They included 550 sets of identical twins and 214 pairs of same sex, non-identical twins. The two groups of twins rated faces for attractiveness.
Identical twins share 100 percent of their genetic material. Non-identical twins do not. So, the scientists expected that the identical twins would share an identical face preference. The scientists also thought the fraternal twins’ preferences would be more diverse like the general population.
In fact, the preference for beautiful — or dislike of average — faces agreed only about 50 percent of the time. The findings suggest that environmental experiences have as much influence on people’s idea of beauty as genetics.
“So it could be that if a person has a relationship, a romantic or friend relationship, with someone they are very close to and they think of very positively, the characteristics of that person’s face will then seem more attractive to them even on other people.”
In other words, beauty appears very much to be in the eye of the beholder.
_________________________________
Words in This Story
attractive – adj. having a pleasing appearance
preference – n. a feeling of liking or wanting one person or thing more than another person or thing
unique – adj. used to say that something or someone is unlike anything or anyone else
beauty is in the eye of the beholder – expression judgment on what is beautiful is personal, not objective


ONLINE GRAMMAR EXERCISES



SITES FOR ENGLISH LEARNING AND PRACTICE



ENGLISH VIDEO CLASSES

14 Expressions About SLEEP


WORD OF THE WEEK

deep pockets

Meaning:
You can say a person or an organisation has deep pockets if they have lots of money.
Examples:
Let’s make a list of everyone we know with deep pockets, and see if any of them want to invest in our company.
People think the government has very deep pockets, but in fact it’s broke and it’s borrowing from banks and other countries.


MUSIC

Can’t Fight This Feeling – REO Speedwagon
I can’t fight this feeling any longer
And yet I’m still afraid to let it flow
What started out as friendship has grown stronger
I only wish I had the strength to let it show
I tell myself that I can’t hold out forever
I say there is no reason for my fear
‘Coz I feel so secure when we’re together
You give my life direction, you make everything so clear
And ever as I wander I’m keeping you in sight
You’re a candle in the window on a cold dark winter’s night
And I’m getting closer than I every thought I might
And I can’t fight this feeling anymore
I’ve forgotten what I’ve started fighting for
It’s time to bring this ship into the shore
And throw away the oars forever
‘Cause I can’t fight this feeling anymore
I’ve forgotten what I’ve started fighting for
And if I have to crawl upon the floor
come crashing through your door
Baby I can’t fight this feeling anymore
My life has been such a whirlwind since I saw you
I’ve been runnin’ round in circles in my mind
And it always seems that I’m following you girl
‘Cause you take me to the places that alone I’d never find
And ever as I wander I’m keeping you in sight
You’re a candle in the window on a cold dark winter’s night
And I’m getting closer than I every thought I might
And I can’t fight this feeling anymore
I’ve forgotten what I’ve started fighting for
It’s time to bring this ship into the shore
And throw away the oars forever
‘Cause I can’t fight this feeling anymore
I’ve forgotten what I’ve started fighting for
And if I have to crawl upon the floor
come crashing through your door
Baby I can’t fight this feeling anymore
Are-You-Happy

erika e newton ingles por skype - imagem no final de vídeo
Érika & Newton – Inglês por Skype
Faça uma AULA EXPERIMENTAL GRATUITA!
Aulas TODOS OS DIAS, de 7 às 23 horas!
Érika de Pádua | Professora de Inglês – Aulas por Skype
WhatsApp: (31) 9223-5540 | Skype: erikadepadua@gmail.com
Linkedin: https://goo.gl/2c6QIb
Newton Rocha | Professor de Inglês – Aulas por Skype
WhatsApp: 9143-7388 | Skype: prof.newtonrocha@gmail.com
LinkedIin: https://goo.gl/7rajxF
Visite o nosso Blog Melhore Seu Inglês:https://melhoreseuingles.wordpress.com/
Curta Nossa página no Facebook:
https://goo.gl/qcPQUK
Se inscreva no nosso Canal no Youtube – Melhore Seu Inglês:https://goo.gl/KYns5i

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog

Como são os nomes das verduras e frutas em inglês? Aprenda com esse POSTER! #dicasdeinglês

Você sabe usar os ADJETIVOS INTERROGATIVOS do Inglês? | Prof. Newton Rocha – Inglês por Skype #dicasdeinglês

Como escrever CENAS INTERESSANTES! | NITRODICAS 64 #dicasdeescrita